It’s here, it’s here, it’s finally here … registration day for the Sock Summit! I’m breathless. Last year, I was at my keyboard, fingers poised and whammo! I got my classes just before the servers fell down. *whew*
This time, I decided a few preparations were in order to accomplish a similar scenario. Not that I don’t want every knitter there with her or his favorite classes on their schedule, of course, I just want the classes I want too. I’m sure you understand.
So, over the weekend I chose my classes and charted them out by day and time. I have my list sitting right next to my computer. For today – in addition to my actual day job of course – this is my preparation plan:
1. Get up early (you won’t be able to sleep anyway) and run the laundry, clean house, and fill the dishwasher. Things must be finished and cleared from your mind so you can focus all your attention on registration.
2. In addition to clearing your head of un-finished tasks, clear your schedule. Move doctor appointments, cancel your workout, re-schedule whatever you have to be at a warm and running computer 10 minutes prior to start time.
3. Prepare your lunch – something healthy and light (speed is of the essence here), but delicious too, in honor of all the wonderful foods you’ll soon be eating in Portland!
4, Have legal stimulants at hand – chocolate, caffeine, guarana, choose your poison – because you’ll need to be light and quick with the fingers!
5. Set aside your knitting and a celebration bottle for knitting club tonight!
Hmmm … come to think of it, that last step just might be a jinx-er. Better put that stuff away instead.
Then 15 minutes prior to actual registration, you must do these things:
- Lock up all pets, spouses and children (it will be quick, they won’t screech much).
- Set your payment card and class list right where you can see them.
- Remind yourself of your own name, address, etc. (hey, it’s tense when you get in there – you might forget).
- Set your instant messaging, skype, and whatever other distractions to ‘away’.
- Turn off your cell phone (you don’t need any distractions – none at all).
- Take a deep breath.
Good luck everyone! Hope to see you there!