Over the weekend, I finished my Habu cowl and now I need to ask Celeste at Loop and Leaf how to block it. It looks a little rough and scratchy right now, but it’s gonna be great very soon.
While we were in Albuquerque about a month ago now, I got to wear a shawl I’d knit YEARS ago and still hadn’t worn. It’s a beaded version of the Gothic Leaf stole and it was a big hit. Still, I’ve had this yarn in my stash for years and years. I bought it at the Estes Park Wool Market … and I have a lot of it.
It’s taken me forever to figure out what to do with it. Here’s a snap of the label
Yep, you read that right 100% kid mohair. This stuff is the devil – the absolute devil – to rip out and so I’ve tried a lot of patterns over the years and ripped, tried another and ripped, and so the first skein is down to not very big because I’ve often tossed out the bits that were tangled, etc. instead of trying too hard to rescue them. Don’t get me wrong, if it was easy to rip and rewind it, it got rewound but if it turned into a tangled mess and clung to itself in all kinds of ways, that bit went into the trash. If you’ve ever knit with this stuff, you understand.
I finally decided that enough was enough and I needed to just find a pattern and knit the damn thing. So I found this pattern.
It looked easy enough, nothing crazy, a pattern that repeats and it looked like it would work well with this kid mohair stuff. So, I tried knitting up a swatch using a size 6.
I thought it was too loose, so I soaked it for a bit, dried it off and used the blow dryer on a warm setting to get it drier. Still not impressed so I moved down a size and I think that this will work. I am casting on about 160 stitches and knitting the edge but I’ll post more when it gets to looking like something.
Just for the record, Emily approves of this pattern and this yarn.
Either that or she really wanted to lie on the tissue paper on top of plastic – all those awesome crinkly sounds could be why she looks so satisfied.