Now, I know you’re probably thinking I’ve really lost my mind. Grilled lettuce?
I haven’t lost my mind or become a total California hippy. We have tried this a few times at restaurants and we tried it at home over the weekend.
Yes, it sounds a little funny but seriously, you can grill lettuce. (You can grill broccoli too but that’s probably for another post.)
More to the point – it tastes great!
Just think of all the veggies you can grill: corn, peppers, etc. Now, you’re going to make a grilled lettuce salad.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A head of romaine lettuce – 1 per 2 people
- Other veggies like tomatoes, avocado, etc. that you won’t grill
- Some protein source if you want it
- Olive oil
- Your favorite spices
- A lemon or lime
We used red peppers and shrimp.
So, here’s how you do it:
- Take the bottom end off the head of romaine.
- Split the entire head of lettuce vertically.
- Pour or brush oil on both sides – get some of the oil down into the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle on your favorite spices – we used a blend with garlic and red pepper and other stuff.
Get your grill started and warmed up, then turn it down to medium-high. This cooking moves quickly, so if you are having other things with your grilled lettuce, put those on the grill first and get them mostly cooked. Then, place your lettuce right on the grill.
We waited until the shrimp were nearly done and the red peppers were starting to get hot and soft.
You’ll want to turn the lettuce once – when the first side gets a little color and char.
Then, put your lettuce on a plate, add the other grilled veggies and protein. Squeeze a lime or lemon over it, and you’ve got dinner!
Be sure to have dinner outside with a glass of wine and a friend – it’s summer after all!